Engineering Division

 ***THE REAL PROPERTY DEPARTMENT HAS MOVED -- Please call (909) 384-5357***

General Information | General Plan Circulation Element Map (pdf) | Engineering Development Resources | Engineering Fee Schedules | Design Policy and Procedure documents | Other information | Standard drawings | Storm Water Requirements | Submittal Requirements | Community Facilities District | Dedication of Right of Way


For questions regarding:

  • Permanent Encroachments
  • CFD Annexations/Formations
  • Sewer Service Annexations
  • Easements
  • Street Vacations
  • Small Cell Applications
  • Contact the Real Property Division in the Community & Economic Development Department.

For Right-of-Way Permits, such as:

  • Oversized Loads
  • Excavation
  • Lane Closure
  • Temporary Encroachment
  • Traffic Control
  • Haul Routes
  • Call: 909-384-7272 (ext. 3258)
    Fax: 909-384-5190

For On-site Permits, such as:

  • Grading
  • Horizontal Boring
  • Landscaping

    Call: 909-384-7272 (ext. 5167 or 5326)
    Fax: 909-384-5190

The Engineering Division is made up of a group of hardworking engineers who are responsible for all of the public contracts and construction projects that use public funds. They prepare and update the 5-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP), Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA), and other Federal Funding Programs. They provide inspection services, permits, and contract administration for various projects and will provide some services to the Inland Valley Development Agency (IVDA) and Economic Development Agency (EDA) upon request. The engineering team is also responsible for the inspection and construction management and planning of maintenance projects for items such as streets, sewers, storm drains, traffic signals, and traffic signs.



Our team evaluates all developments for traffic related concerns and reviews all Traffic Impact Analyses. We make determinations on the need for crossing guards, stop signs, time limit parking, and painted curbs and staffs the Traffic Safety Committee. Accident records are maintained in a computer database for evaluation and recommended action. 

Public Resources:
Consultant Services Agreement | Street Light Standards | RFQ-RFP Traffic Services | Traffic Index | Traffic Study Guidelines


Average Daily Traffic Map
Disclaimer: The traffic counts shown on this map are not allowed to be used for
Traffic Reports or Studies without the written approval of the City Engineer.



We have a group of highly-trained inspectors who provide services related to City improvement efforts which includes streets, sewers, and traffic signals.



This Division participates in the development process by establishing improvement requirements for new projects, including site grading, drainage, and related off-site improvements within the public right-of-way. The division checks subdivision plans, parcel maps, and records of survey for conformance with the Subdivision Map Act. The public will be able to find out information regarding Parcel and Tract Maps, Lot Mergers, and Lot Line Line Adjustments. This division also manages Condition Use Permits (CUP) and Bond Release Requests.



The NPDES section administers the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program for the County of San Bernardino and the San Bernardino County Flood Control District. This stormwater management program is mandated by the Federal Clean Water Act and is implemented by the State Water Resources Control Board, and has the goal of preventing pollutants from entering our lakes, streams, rivers, and oceans through stormwater runoff. Learn about the CWA



Engineering Division Contact Information

Daniel Hernandez

Susan Pan
Acting Deputy Director of Public Works/City Engineer

[email protected]


Office: 201 N E Street, 2nd Floor

Mail: 290 North D Street
San Bernardino, CA 92401

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Engineering Department
P: (909) 384-5019

Land Development
P: (909) 384-7272 (x3461)

Permit Counter
P: (909) 384-7272 (x3304)

To report a concern:
(909) 384-7272 (option 0) or Submit a Report Here

Permit Counter Hours

8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.